Underground cables help in ensuring uninterrupted power supply that are hitherto uncommon in overhead systems. The main hindrance in ensuring uninterrupted power supply through overhead systems is the non-availability of space in developed urban areas.
- Higher Current Rating.
- Higher Short Circuit Rating.
- Longer Service Life.
- For a short time it can withstand maximum 130o C and is favourable to endure short circuit stresses.
- It is less sensitive to the setting of the network protection.
- Because of the thermosetting process taking place due the effect of cross linking, the crack resistance is increased.
- Due to the chemical cross-linking internal stresses are reduced. Consequently the material is less sensitive during manufacturing process to the setting of the cooling gradient.
- The thermal resistivity of cross-linked material is favourably low, compared to thermoplastic material.
- The low dielectric loss is a significant advantage.
- The excellent mechanical features of the insulation improves the protection against external effects.
- The resistance of the XLPE to acids, alkalies is outstanding and is often compensating the adverse environmental influences.